- B.Sc (Eng), University of Aston, U.K.
- M.Sc (Eng), University of Strathclyde, U.K.
- PhD, University of Strathclyde, U.K.
- July 2001–present, Professor and Head, School of Aerospace, Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering; (prior to October 2003, the School functioned as 2 separate Departments)
- Jan 98–June 01, Professor and Head, Department of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
- Feb 94–Dec 97, Professor and Head, Department of Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- 1985–Jan 94, Professor of Industrial Engineering, University Hong Kong
- July 81–Jan 94, Head, Dept of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- 1975 – 1985, Senior Lecturer, Department of Industrial Engineering (later renamed Department of Industrial Manufacturing Systems Engineering)
- 1973 – 1975, Lecturer, Department of Industrial Engineering
- 1968 – 1973, Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Affiliations / Professional memberships
- Fellow of The Institution of Engineers, Australia
- Chartered Professional Engineer, Australia
- Fellow of The Institution of Electrical Engineers (Manufacturing Division), U.K.
- Fellow of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Hong Kong
- Member of The Institution of Mechanical Engineers, U.K.
- Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council, U.K.
- Member of the Academic Council of the Singapore Institute of Aerospace Engineers (2003 - present)
- Member of the Editorial Board, International Journal of Production Economics.
- Council member of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. (1985 – 1993).
- Vice-President of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. (1988 – 1989).
- Member of the Qualification and Membership Board of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. (1988 – 1993)
- Member of the Hong Kong Engineers’ Registration Board.(1990 – 1993)
- A Director of the Hong Kong branch of the American Institute of Industrial Engineers. (1985 – 1993)Areas of research and consulting expertise
Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Metal cutting
- Hydrostatic bearings
- Adhesive bonded joints
- Appointed by the State Minister for Manufacturing as a member of the Manufacturing Industry Consultative Council (2003 - present).
- Member of the Industrial Automation and Integration Committee, Standards Australia (since 2001).
- Member of the Hong Kong Productivity Council. (1981 – 1983).
- Member of the Governing Council of the Hong Kong Quality Assurance Agency.This was the government established agency which conducted quality audits of local companies to the requirements of ISO 9000. (1989 – 1993).
- Member of the Industrial Development Board of the Hong Kong Government (1982-1986).
- Member of the Course Advisory Committee of the Advanced Engineering Centre for Manufacturing (1995-1999).
- Member of one of the Judging Panels for the 1995 and 1997 Engineering Excellence Awards competition organised by The Institution of Engineers, Australia.
- Member of the Reference Group for the Victorian Governments study of the Precision Engineering Industry
- Co-Chairman of the 3rd International Conference on Quality and Reliability held in Melbourne, 2002.
Kubicki, B., Chen, N. and Selvarajah, S. (2000), Cutting Forces Investigation by Tapping and Drilling of P.M. Materials, Proceedings of 2000 Powder Metallurgy World Congress (Kyoto, Japan), Part 2, pp 1544-1547.
Mo, J.P.T., Wang, H.B. and Chen, N. (1997), Component oriented modelling and design of fuzzy control scheme for a class of pneumatic actuators, The Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, Vol 5, pp 229-243.
Mo, J.P.T., Wang, H.B. and Chen, N. (1996), Hybrid fuzzy logic algorithm for position control of pneumatic actuator with 3/2-way solenoid valves, Proc. Inst Mech. Engrs., Vol 210, pp167-176.
Chen, N and Niem, P.I.F. and Lee R. C., (1990), ‘Experimental Investigation of Epoxy Bonded Polymethlymethacrylate Joints. The Journal of Adhesion Vol 31 (nos 204) pp. 161-176.
Chen, N. and Pun, W. K., (1988).Stresses at the cutting tool wear land.International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 28, No2. 2, pp. 79-92.
Chen, N. and Pun, W. K., (1987).The Effect of variation of rake angle on wear land stress in metal cutting.International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 27, No.1. pp. 135-142.
Ho, Y.S. and Chen, N. (1984).Pressure distribution in a six-pocket hydrostatic journal bearings.Wear., Vol. 98 pp. 89-100.
Ho, C. F. and Chen, N. (1977).Prediction of wear of carbide cutting tools.International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 15, No. 3. pp 277-290.
Ho, C. F. and Chen, N. (1976).Measurement of tool-work interface temperature in hot machining. International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 14, No. 6. pp 657-667.
Chen, N. and Lo, K.C. (1974). Factors affecting tool life in hot machining of alloy steels.International Journal of Machine Tool Design and Research, Vol. 14, pp. 161-173.