Dr Sampa Sarkar
School of Science
Science, Engineering and Health
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (Cell Biology), Centre for Advanced Materials and Industrial Chemistry
- Tutor/ Demonstrator at School of Applied Science, RMIT University
Field of expertise and research interests
- Development of whole cell based assay systems for drug discovery
- Host–Pathogen (M.tuberculosis-Thp-1 macrophage) interaction
- Biomarker identification for drug discovery in whole cell culture
- Nanoparticle based drug delivery systems and it’s in-vitro/in-vivo cytotoxicity/biocompatibility studies
- DNA-Ionic liquid interactions and application
- Doctor of Philosophy, Biotechnology (Cell Biology: Host-pathogen interaction), 2007-2012, CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune, India.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law of Intellectual Properties, 2005-2006, National Academy of Legal Studies and Research (NALSAR) University of Law, Hyderabad, India.
- Master of Science, Biotechnology, 2002-2004, North Maharashtra University (NMU), Jalgaon. Maharashtra, India (with distinction)
- Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, Botany and Microbiology, 1999-2002, Babashaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University (BAMU), Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India (with distinction).
- Sept 2012 to Till Date: Research Fellow and tutor/demonstrator at School of Applied Science, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- Feb. 2012- Aug 2012: Endeavour Post-Doctoral fellow on research Project titled "Lactobacillus (milk bacteria) protoplast as a biocompatible sub-micron/nano sized drug delivery vehicle for controlled drug release in cancer therapy" at Center for Advance Material and Industrial Chemistry (CAMIC), RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia.
- 2007-2011: PhD thesis titled “Biochemical studies on role of nitrate reductase (narGHJI) of M. tuberculosis for its survival in host macrophages’’ with Dr. Dhiman Sarkar, High Throughput Screening group, CombiChem Bioresource Center at National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
- 2004-2007: Worked as Project assistant on Project titled “Isolation of Taxol from Entophytic Fungi: Acts as a Bioactive Molecule” sponsored by Dept. of Biotechnology, with Dr M. I Khan at National Chemical Laboratory on, Pune, India.
- 2006-07: Worked as Project Assistant on projects title “Isolation of Trypsin and Tyrosinase inhibitors from natural products use in beauty care ’’sponsored by Proctor and Gamble, USA and DBT, India.
- 2005-06: Worked as Project assistant on Projects title “Whole cell assay development in Leishmania donovani’’ funded by Dept. of Biotechnology, University of Pune, , Pune, India.
- 2003-04: M.Sc. Project titled “Isolation and characterization of dye degrading bacteria from soil’ from North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon, India.
- ECR member of Australian Nanotechnology Network (ANN), 2012-onwards.
- Member of Association of Microbiologists of India
- Member of Society of Biological Chemists of India
- Secretary: - Group activity of NCL-Technology and Entrepreneurship Club (Up to Dec. 2009)
- Best Posters Award (co-contributor) at Australia-India Joint Symposium on Smart Nano-Materials-2011. Presented by Dr Megan Clark, Chief of CSIRO, Australia, and Prof CNR Rao, Chair, Scientific Advisory committee to Prime minister of India, JNCASR, India. 2nd-4th Nov. 2011, RMIT University, Australia.
- Endeavour research award (Australian government’s internationally highly competitive, merit–based scholarship program) by Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR), Nov. 2011.
- Senior Research Fellowship, granted from Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi, India. August 2008-Dec 2011.
- Best Poster award (co-contributor) on National Science Day at National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune, India, 28th Feb. 2008.
- Junior Research Fellowship, granted from Lady Tata Memorial Trust (LTMT), Mumbai, India, August 2007- July 2008.
- Best Poster award (co-contributor) on National Science Day at National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune, India, 28th ¬¬Feb. 2007.
Selected journal articles (refereed)
- Phytase isozymes from Aspergillus niger NCIM 563 under solid state fermentation: Biochemical characterization and their correlation with submerged fermentation. Kavita Bhavsar, Priyanka Buddhiwant, Sarvesh K. Soni, Dilip Depen, Sampa Sarkar, J. M. Khire, Process Biochemistry, 2013
- Potential use of nitrate reductase as biomarker for identification of active and dormant inhibitors of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the Thp-1 infection model, Sampa Sarkar, Dhiman Sarkar. J Biomol Screen. 2012; 17(7):966-73.
- A method to extract intact and pure RNA from mycobacteria. Shamim Akhtar, Sampa Sarkar, Dhiman Sarkar, Anaytical Biochemistry, 417 (2011) 286–288. [Highlighted in 'Global Medical Discovery Magazine' as important for Drug development Sector
- Production, purification and characterization of taxol and 10 DAB III from a new endophytic fungus Gliocladium sp. isolated from the Indian yew tree, Taxus baccata”. Sreekanth D, Syed A, Sampa Sarkar, Sarkar D, Santhakumari B, Ahmad A, Khan M. I, Journal of Microbiology & Biotechnology, 2009 Nov; 19(11):1342-7.
- Bactericidal activity of 2-nitroimidazole against the active replicating stage of Mycobacterium bovis BCG and Mycobacterium tuberculosis with intracellular efficacy in THP-1 macrophages; Arshad Khan, Sampa Sarkar, Dhiman Sarkar, International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, 32 (2008) 40– 45.
- Antimycobacterial activity of propargylated 1, 2, 3-triazolethiols and the corresponding 1, 2, 3- triazole derivatives. SampaSarkar, Dhiman Sarkar. US/PCT/IN2011/000172.WO
- “A method of screening anti-tubercular compound”. PCT/IN2012/000184.
- Antimycobacterial activity of propargylated 1, 2, 3-triazolethiols and the corresponding 1, 2, 3- triazole derivatives. PCT/IN2011/000172.WO.
- Antitubercular agents. PCT/IB2011/001184, WO.
- Novel compounds from Leucas. PCT/IN2012/000543.
- Synthesis of 10 alpha/beta arabinofuranosyl-undecenes as potential antimycobacterial agents. 2655DEL2011.
- GroEL2 as an antitubercular agent and its use there. 0737DEL2011.
- Antitubercular activity of compounds from Plectranthus mollis. 2221DEL2011.
- Useful compounds from Anisomelessp. 2222DEL2011.
- Natural selective inhibitor of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from Leucas stelligers. 2224DEL2011.
- Antitubercular agents. 1244DEL2010.
- 1, 2, 4-Triazole derivatives and their antimycobacterial activity. 0574DEL2010.
Conference papers/abstracts (published in proceedings)
- Self-Assembled Histidine Acid Phosphate Nanocapsules As Templates For Multifunctional Hollow Platinum Nanospheres In Ionic Liquid [BMIM] [BF4] For Drug Delivery” Sarvesh K Soni, Sampa Sarkar, Dhiman Sarkar, Peter J Coloe, Suresh K Bhargava*, Submission No. 55300328, Proceedings of Chemeca 2011, Australia, 18-21/09/2011, pp. 1-10.
- Participated in INSA Platinum Jubilee International Symposium on "Research in Molecular Medicine Based on Natural Resources and Traditional Knowledge", NCL, Pune, November 2009
- Development of a novel antitubercular screening protocol using nitrate reduction by M. tuberculosis within Thp1 macrophage, Sampa Sarkar, Dhiman Sarkar, National science day ceremony, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune –2009
- Bactericidal activity of 2-nitroimidazole against the active replicating stage of Mycobacterium bovis BCG and Mycobacterium tuberculosis with intracellular efficacy in THP-1 macrophages, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune –2008. (Awarded Best Poster)Isolation of Taxol from Entophytic Fungi Act as a Bioactive Molecule, S. Sarkar D. Sreekanth, M.I Khan, National science day ceremony, National chemical Laboratory, Pune –2007 (Awarded Best Poster)
- Participated at Drug Design workshop held at Molecular and Biophysics Unit & Bioinformatics Centre, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, July 2007.
Additional professional qualifications
- Successfully completed workshop on patent law, conducted by NCL-TEC, GMGC and Indian patent office, Mumbai, India
- Qualified the Certificate Course in Computing (CIC) from NIIT, Kalyanai, West Bengal, India
- Presented Business plan as team member at Biotech Student Entrepreneur Team (BEST) India, workshop and competition, conducted by Association of Biotech Led Enterprise (ABLE), 25-27th July, 2009 at Bangalore, India
- Organising Committee member for 50th Annual conference of AMI, 15-18th December 2010 at National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India