Support options

Safer Community can connect you with specialist support options.

There are a wide variety of support options available to you at RMIT and from external agencies. Part of what we do at Safer Community is talk you through your options and help you get the most useful support for your situation.

RMIT support

Below is a list of support services available to you at the University. Use these services if you are concerned about the behaviour of someone in the RMIT community. If necessary, these services might contact Safer Community for case management and advice.

  • Campus Safety and Security: if your safety or security concerns require urgent attention i.e. if you witness criminal activity on campus – contact Security. You can also request Campus Safety and Security to accompany you to a University car park or the nearest public transport.
  • Chaplaincy: a team of trained multi-faith spiritual advisers who are available in any crisis situation.
  • Counselling Service: if you want to talk about personal, study, mental health or wellbeing concerns.
  • Safer Community: Safer Community provides support and advice to students and staff concerned about threatening or inappropriate behaviour.
  • Student Complaints: to make a complaint to RMIT relating to sexual harassment, racial discrimination, religious intolerance or bullying, email
  • Student Legal Service: offers students free, confidential legal advice.
  • Student Support Advisors: offer practical help, advice and support, mainly in the areas of accommodation, legal and money advice, as well as making cultural and social adjustments to life in Melbourne and studying successfully.

RMIT policies and statements

RMIT University Student Union (RUSU)

RUSU also provides the following support services:

  • RUSU Compass service: for information and referrals to services if you’re experiencing challenges and want to know where to go to resolve them.
  • RUSU Queer Department: a safe space of students that identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or intersex. A Queer Officer is available to provide advice and support on dealing with homophobic bullying, name-calling, or any other behaviour that makes for an unsafe environment.
  • RUSU Student Rights: Student Rights Officers provide independent advice and advocacy.
  • RUSU Womyn’s Department: a safe space for female students. A Womyn’s Officer is also available to provide advice on support options available.

External support


  • Lifeline: provides crisis support if you are finding it hard to cope with an event or experience in your life. Access support by phone (13 11 14) or online chat.
  • QLife: a national telephone (1800 184 527) and web counselling service for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex (LGBTI) people, families and friends.
  • Say Something: an anonymous online reporting system for crimes within Victoria with a downloadable App.
  • Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission: provides a phone service offering free information on discrimination, victimisation, sexual harassment, racial or religious vilification, equal opportunity and the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities.
  • Victorian Safer Community Network: provides safety promotion and injury prevention professionals with the tools, resources and support to minimise the impact of unintentional injury, crime, violence and emergency situations.

Personal Safety Intervention Order

  • Victoria Legal Aid: advice on applying for a personal safety intervention order which is an order made by a magistrate to protect a person from physical or mental harm caused by someone who is not a family member.

Sexual harassment

  • 1800RESPECT: provides telephone and online counselling if you have experienced sexual assault or domestic family violence or domestic family violence.
  • Centre Against Sexual Assault (CASA House): provides 24 hour crisis care support following a sexual assault in the last two weeks and 24 hour telephone counselling and support.
  • QLife: a national telephone (1800 184 527) and web counselling service for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex (LGBTI) people, families and friends.
  • Sexual Assault Crisis Line: (1800 806 292): provides an after-hours, confidential, telephone crisis counselling service for victim/survivors of both past and recent sexual assault.
  • Sexual Assault Report Anonymously (SARA): report a sexual assault anonymously.
  • Victorian Police Safety Advice: provides advice to victims of family violence, sexual assault or child abuse.
  • Women’s Information and Referral Exchange (WIRE): provides information, support and referrals to women with a phone support service and a walk-in centre.

If you or someone you know has been assaulted, or has experienced concerning, threatening or inappropriate behaviour, support and advice is available from Safer Community.