RMIT Village Accommodation Support Scholarship
If you are moving to Melbourne from interstate or rural/regional Victoria and can demonstrate financial and educational disadvantage, this scholarship can provide a contribution towards your accommodation costs at RMIT Village in your first year of study.
Applications now closed.
Value and duration
The scholarship provides half the cost of your accommodation ($145 per week, up to $6090 for certificate IV/diploma students and $5655 for degree/postgraduate students [2018 rates]) at RMIT Village in a shared two bed studio for the first year of your program.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, an Australian permanent resident or a permanent humanitarian visa holder
- be commencing full-time study in semester 1 2019 in a certificate IV, diploma, degree or postgraduate by coursework program at RMIT
- be able to demonstrate financial disadvantage such as:
- receiving a Government tested low income benefit or having a Centrelink Health Care Card
- be able to demonstrate educational disadvantage such as:
- having a long term medical condition or disability which impacts your study
- experiencing difficult family circumstances
- were born overseas, are from a non-English speaking background and recently migrated to Australia
- are a current or former refugee
- completed your secondary education at a School Network Access Program school
- be relocating from interstate or rural/regional Victoria to study at RMIT
- have not previously commenced or completed a program at the same level of study or higher
- have not previously been enrolled at RMIT.
If you are a certificate IV or diploma student you must:
- have a government-subsidised place
- be commencing a program with a duration of at least one year or a pathway program combination (a mix of certificate IV and diploma) that is at least 1 year long
- not be enrolled in an apprenticeship or traineeship program.
If you are a degree or postgraduate by coursework student you must:
- be commencing a program with a duration of at least one year.
How to apply
Applications can be submitted direct to RMIT or through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) however, it is preferred that you apply direct to RMIT for this scholarship.
Direct to RMIT applications
The online application form will be provided here when applications open.
Find out more about applying for scholarships.VTAC applications
Apply online through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) website (www.vtac.edu.au).Supporting documentation
Before you begin your application, please visit Supporting Your Application for more information about supporting your application with evidence, providing referee letters and answering application questions.
Applications for 2019 open August 8 2018.
Applications now closed.
Early applications submitted directly to RMIT will close Friday 12 October 2018 and successful students will be advised of an early scholarship offer by Tuesday 4 December 2018.
Standard applications for 2019 will close Sunday 18 November 2018. All remaining applications will be assessed (early and standard) and successful students will be advised of a scholarship offer by 31 March 2019.
Terms and conditions
Successful students move into the RMIT Village one week prior to the start of Semester 1 and pay half the normal weekly rent for a bed in a shared two-bed studio.
Students will be required to pay a bond of $1160 (2018 rate) to the RMIT Village when moving in that will be immediately lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA). The bond is refundable to students at the end of the contract by the RTBA following the receipt of the bond claim form, apartment inspection and clearance of all relevant payments to RMIT Village.
Students have the option of purchasing bedding and kitchen packs from the RMIT Village.
Students are required to vacate one week after second Semester/term examination period, and will be charged a cleaning fee.
View the Coursework Scholarships Office’s Scholarships and Grants Terms and Conditions (PDF 465kb, 30p)
RMIT Village is located near the heart of Melbourne CBD. Only a five-minute tram ride from RMIT University, you can enjoy all the benefits of living in an exciting, culturally diverse and modern student community. Visit the RMIT Village website.
Notice to applicants
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
Only successful candidates will be notified via email to their RMIT student email account. If you have not received an offer via email by 31 March 2019, your application has been unsuccessful.