Assoc Professor Roberto Guevara
Global, Urban and Social Studies
+61 3 9925 3046
Design & Social Context
- Teaching in the Bachelor of Arts International Studies and Masters in International Development Programs.
- Supervision of International Internships, International Field Projects, Masters and PhD Research Students.
- Study Tour Leader, International Perspectives in Community Development (Philippines)
- B.Sc Biology (Ecology), University of the Philippines (Los Banos)
- M. Environmental Science, Monash University
- PhD, Victoria University
- President, Asian South Pacific Association of Basic and Adult Education (ASPBAE) (2009-present)
- Vice –President (Asia), International Council of Adult Education (ASPBAE) (2011-present)
- Member and previous Journal Editor, Victorian Association for Environmental Education (VAEE)
- Member, Action Research Issues Association (ARIA) Melbourne Victoria
- Member, Action Learning, Action Research Association (ALARA)
- Member, International Association of Community Development (IACD)
- Member, Adult Learning Australia (ALA)
- Programme for Education for Sustainable Development in Asia and the Pacific for the Asia – Pacific Cultural Centre for UNESCO (ACCU) and UNESCO Bangkok (PDF)
- Research and development of non-formal learning material for Climate Change Education for Sustainable Development for UNESCO Vietnam
- Evaluation of ResourceSmart Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative Victoria – funded by Sustainability Victoria (2009-2012)
- March 2003: Vice-Chancellor and President’s Citation of Excellence in Research (Category of Research Degree Graduates), Victoria University
- October 2000: Gay and Lesbian Community Award for “contribution to the community response to HIV/AIDS in Victoria and the work of the Victorian AIDS Council / Gay Men’s Health Centre.”
- Interview conducted on Adult Education in Asia Pacific during CONFINTEA VI (December 2009, Brazil)
- VET and Life Skills for Global Citizenship Forum organised at RMIT with Adult Learning Australia
Dr Guevara’s main research interest are popular and community environmental education in the Asia-Pacific region; Education for Sustainable Development; HIV-AIDS education; community and sustainable tourism; participatory action research; international aid and development; community development; local and global sustainability, global citizenship and climate change.
- Honorary Fellow 2009 - 2011
- Australian Youth Research Centre
- Melbourne Graduate School of Education
- University of Melbourne
- Two Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage Grants on “Youth-led Learning: Local Connections and Global Citizenship” with Plan International and the Australian Youth Research Centre at the University of Melbourne. (Project ID LP0882159)
- “School-Community Learning Partnerships for Sustainability” with Sustainability Victoria, Shire of Yarra Ranges, CERES, Foundation for Young Australians, Independent Schools Victoria and the South East Councils Climate Change Alliance (Project ID LP0989314)
Dr Guevara’s main research interest are popular and community environmental education in the Asia-Pacific region; Education for Sustainable Development; HIV-AIDS education; community and sustainable tourism; participatory action research; international aid and development; community development; local and global sustainability and global citizenship.
- 3 PhD Completed, 1 On-going
- 3 Masters Minor Thesis (International Development) Completed
- 1 Masters Minor Thesis (International Development) On-going
- Wierenga, A & Guevara J R (eds.) (to be released March 2013) Youth-led Learning for Global Citizenship. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.
- Guevara, J R. (to be released Sept 2012) ‘Progressive Contextualisation: Developing a Popular Environmental Education Curriculum in the Philippines in Westoby, P. & Shevellar, L. (eds.) Learning and mobilising for community development: A radicaltradition of community based education and training. Surrey, UK: Ashgate.
- Flowers, R., Guevara, R. & Whelan, J. (2009), 'Popular and environmental education: The need for more research in an 'emerging' field of practice', Report Zeitschrift fuer Weiterbildungsforschung, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 36-50.
- Conference paper: Popular and informal environmental education: The need for more research in an ‘emerging’ field of practice (PDF)
- Schultz, L, Guevara, J R, Wierenga, A, Ratnam, S, and Wyn, J. (2009) “Global Connections- A Tool for Active Citizenship”, Development in Practice, 19(8): 1023-1034.
- Guevara, J. R. (2009) “Reflecting on the Evaluation Methodology of HOPE” in Tales of HOPE 2 Evaluation of the ESD Innovation Projectsin Asia-Pacific. Tokyo: Asia/Pacific Cultural Centre for UNESCO.
- Wierenga Ani, Wyn Johanna, Guevara Jose Roberto, Gough Annette, Schultz Lisa, Beadle Sally, Ratnam Samantha & King Jeff (2008) Research Report 31: Youth-led learning: Local connections & global citizenship. Melbourne: Australian Youth Research Centre.
- Guevara, J.R. (2007) “Embedding Formal Education Within the Contexts of Non-formal Education for Lifelong Learning and Sustainable Development” in M. Clarke and S. Feeny (eds) Education for the Endof Poverty: Implementing All the Millennium Development Goals. USA: Nova Publishers, pp. 31 – 40.
- Guevara, J.R. (2007) “Learning from the Community: Developing a Grassroots Environmental Education Curriculum in the Philippines” in Burkett, I and H. Bedi, What in the world: Global Lessons, Inspirationsand Experiences in Community Development. Scotland: International Association of Community Development, pp. 67-69.
- Guevara, J. R. (2007) “Progressive Contextualisation of the PLANET Programme’s education practice” in It’s our only PLANET! Education for Sustainable Development through PLANET in Asia and the Pacific (Final Report). Tokyo: Asia/Pacific Cultural Centre for UNESCO, pp 15-18.
- Guevara, J. R. (2006) “Re-conceptualizing the Practice of School-Community Learning Partnerships for Sustainability” UNESCO APEIDConference. December 2006.
- Guevara, J, R. (2006) “Progressive Contextualisation of Community Education Practice: Responding to the ‘Here and Now’ in a Globalising World” in Conference Proceedings: Community Development in aGlobal Risk Society. Geelong: Centre for Citizenship and Human Rights, Deakin University. pp. 91-103.
- Guevara, J. R. (2004) “Facilitating community environmental adult education in the Philippines: Transformation in Action” in Global Perspectives in Environmental Adult Education: Justice, Sustainability and Transformation, Clover, Darlene (ed.), Frankfurt/New York: Peter Lang Publishing.