RMIT University

Pre-Departure for Study Abroad and Exchange

Congratulations on being accepted into the RMIT University Outbound Mobility Program (ie Study Abroad or Exchange).

Each semester, the Global Mobility Office runs a Pre-departure session at the City campus.

Attendance at this session is compulsory. Students will find the relevant session details in their offer letter.

This session will help prepare students for their overseas experience, and advise of the next steps in the process.

Global Mobility wish you a safe and amazing trip. Please keep in touch as we would love to hear about your adventures –

On Arrival Form - Compulsory to Complete and Submit upon Arrival

Within two weeks after you arrive and commence your study at the host institution overseas, you must request them to complete the form for you.

Once completed, please email us a scanned copy to Without receiving the form, the Education Abroad Office will not process your grants/scholarships.

Pre-departure CHECKLIST

Check your ‘Letter of Offer’ from the host institution - Check that dates, courses and number of semesters are correct, if there are any problems contact the Global Mobility Office immediately.

Accept your offer (if applicable) - Ensure you accept your offer at your host institution and complete all forms they require.

Passport - Apply for a passport or renew your current passport if the expiry date is less than six months after your program ends or when you plan to leave. For more information, visit

Visa - Contact the relevant Embassy or Consulate to apply for the correct visa or entry permit for your exchange.

International students - You will require a letter from the Education Abroad Office to take to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

Purchase airline ticket - Once you have accepted your offer at the host institution and obtained your visa, book your return flights.

Insurance - Submit RMIT International Student Mobility Insurance details form or organise your own insurance.

Accommodation - Organise your accommodation for host country. If you are looking for accommodation when you arrive in your host country, make sure you book temporary accommodation for at least two weeks from arrival.

Enrolment - Ensure your RMIT enrolment is correct. All Undergraduate and Postgraduate students should be enrolled in outbound exchange codes. Take your Mobility Confirmation Letter to your School to obtain these codes.

International SOS (iSOS) - Download your membership card, mobile app and country report from the International SO.

Organise money - Organise enough money to cover expenses for the first week upon arrival. Check that you can use your Australian ATM cards overseas to access all accounts. Notify your bank that you will be overseas.

Centrelink - If in receipt of Centrelink payments, take your Mobility Confirmation Letter to a Centrelink office to apply for payments to continue when overseas.

OS-HELP loan - You can still apply for an OS-HELP loan, please download the application form from the Financial support options section on Global Mobility website.

Mobile phone - Activate global roaming for mobile phone.

Driver’s license - If you intend to drive while abroad you may need to obtain an international driving permit (IDP). These are available from RACV. Visit to see if you will need an IDP.

Doctor and dental - Before you leave Australia visit your doctor and dentist for a check-up, and to enquire about any recommended vaccinations. If on medications obtain a letter from your Doctor outlining why you need the medication and ensure you have enough prescriptions to cover you for the length of your overseas stay. Keep any medicines in their original packaging.

Taxation - If you will be away through the end of the financial year, check with the Australian Taxation Office if you are required to complete any tax returns before you depart.

Luggage - Check luggage allowance (maximum weight and number of items for check-in and carry-on) with your airline. Check with customs what you can and can not take into the country.

Electrical - Check what the power source is at your host country and purchase an adaptor specific for that country.

Register with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade - you can do this on-line at

Important documents to take in your hand luggage

It is important that you have all these documents with you throughout your stay overseas. We suggest that you put a second copy of each in your suitcase and leave a third copy at home with your family.