Teaching Period: Term2 2012
Course Code: OHTH5505C
Course Title: Facilitate the application of principles of occupational health to control OHS risk
School: 155T Life & Physical Sciences
Campus: City Campus
Program: C5239 - Diploma of Occupational Health and Safety
Course Contact : Namrita Kaul
Course Contact Phone: +61 3 99254309
Course Contact Email:email@example.com
Name and Contact Details of All Other Relevant Staff
Nominal Hours: 40
Regardless of the mode of delivery, represent a guide to the relative teaching time and student effort required to successfully achieve a particular competency/module. This may include not only scheduled classes or workplace visits but also the amount of effort required to undertake, evaluate and complete all assessment requirements, including any non-classroom activities.
Pre-requisites and Co-requisites
There are no pre-requisites or co-requisites for this course
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to facilitate the application of principles of occupational health and implement strategies to control occupational health and safety (OHS) risk. No licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements apply to this unit at the time of endorsement
National Codes, Titles, Elements and Performance Criteria
National Element Code & Title:
BSBOHS507B Facilitate the application of principles of occupational health to control OHS risk
1. Identify the potential for adverse effects on health from agents in the workplace
2. Identify the potential for adverse effects on health related to the interaction of the work environment, work systems and people
3. Facilitate the control of risks to health in the workplace
4. Participate in the development of strategies to communicate occupational health information and data
5. Monitor and facilitate occupational health education and training
6. Review and evaluate the occupational health program
Details of Learning Activities
Participants will work individually and in groups. Participants are required read the course notes and any information provided on the "myRMIT Studies" . Participants are also required to read the chapter from the recommended text relating to the session topic.
The learning activities include:
• Case studies
• Collaborative classroom activities
• Peer interaction
• Reflection and discussion
• Accessing information on-line
• Workplace activities
The delivery design of this course allows this module to be delivered as face to face for one day followed by ongoing support online@RMIT using "myRMIT Studies" .
Archer, R & Borthwick, K 2005, OH&S: A management guide, 2nd Ed, Cengage Learning, Victoria
Online learning materials can be accessed by going into the RMIT web sites myRMIT Studies The online learning materials listed under each topic include:
• Subject outlines
• Lecture notes
• Reading materials
Overview of Assessment
The participant must demonstrate an understanding of all elements of a particular competency to be deemed competent. Assessment methods have been designed to measure achievement of each competency in a flexible manner over a range of assessment tasks.
Assessment will incorporate a variety of methods including technical requirements documentation, workplace activities, in class exercises, quizzes, practical problem solving exercises and presentations. Participants are advised that they are likely to be asked to personally demonstrate their assessment work to their teacher to ensure that the relevant competency standards are being met.
A major assignment - 100% of total mark
You are required to develop a Corporate Plant Safety Management System.
The above assessment task will assess the following units:
• BSBOHS505B Manage hazards in the work environment
• BSBOHS506B Monitor and facilitate the management of hazards associated with plant
• BSBOHS507B Facilitate the application of principles of occupational health to control OHS risk
A detailed assessment sheet will be distributed in class.
Course Overview: Access Course Overview