Vice-Chancellor’s PhD Scholarship (VCPS)
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and research potential to local and international candidates undertaking a research doctoral degree.
The Vice-Chancellor’s PhD Scholarships (VCPS) are funded by RMIT University.
Value and duration
The VCPS provides the following benefits to recipients:
- a stipend of $42,384.50 per annum pro rata (full-time study) which represents a generous RMIT top up of approximately $15,000 above the RTP rate
- a research support allowance of $5,000 per annum to support research activities
- a HDR publication award of $10,000 (payable on thesis submission). Candidates must submit their thesis within three and a half years (or equivalent part-time) to be eligible for award
- a relocation allowance for the cost of relocating in order to take up their postgraduate research program, up to $515 per adult and $255 per child to a maximum of $1,540
- paid sick, maternity and parenting leave (within the limits of the Scholarship Terms and Conditions).
If you are a local candidate, you will also receive a government-funded Research Training Program (RTP) place or equivalent. An RTP place is supported with a HECS exemption for the standard duration of the course. Applicants successful in receiving an RTP place are not required to pay tuition fees for the maximum duration of their candidature.
If you are an international candidate, you will also receive:
- tuition fees for the duration of the scholarship
- the cost of an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy for your visa duration.
The duration of a Vice Chancellor’s PhD Scholarship is three years full-time, with the possibility of a 6 month extension subject to satisfactory progress. This will be reduced by any periods of study undertaken towards an equivalent research degree prior to the commencement of the program at RMIT University.
Number of scholarships available
In 2018, RMIT University will offer 10 VCPS awards.
To be considered for a VCPS scholarship you must hold, or be currently completing:
- a Master by research
- a Master by coursework with a significant research component graded as high distinction, or equivalent
- a Honours degree achieving first class honours
- a 4 year bachelor degree achieving a GPA of 4 or equivalent (80% or above).
If you do not hold one of the above qualifications, you will only be considered for scholarship if you have previous publications or significant research experience. All other applicants will be considered ineligible.
In addition to the above, to be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian Citizen, New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident of Australia, or an international candidate who is commencing in an RMIT PhD program from 1 January 2018
- have applied for a full-time PhD program at RMIT.
Part-time VCPS may be approved for candidates with exceptional circumstances (e.g. for medical reasons or due to significant care commitments). Part-time scholarships are not tax exempt. Please refer to the Scholarship Terms and Conditions for further details.
You will be considered ineligible for a VCPS if:
- you have already commenced your PhD program at RMIT
- you already hold a research doctorate, or an equivalent research qualification
- you are currently receiving another equivalent award, scholarship or research related salary providing a benefit greater than 75% of the 2018 RTP base rate to undertake the research degree.
- you have not met the English requirements by the close of the main scholarship round (international only)
- you have not received a program offer to commence in a PhD program in 2018, by the close of the main scholarship round (international only).
Key dates and how to apply
VCPS scholarships are only open to commencing PhD candidates in the main scholarship round.
For information relating to scholarship opening rounds and to apply for scholarship, please refer to the instructions detailed on research scholarships.
All applications will be ranked based on a model that has been approved by RMIT’s Research Committee.
See the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions (PDF 326KB 10p) for more information.
- Hobsons Coursefinder – a nation-wide postgraduate scholarship database
- Other scholarships at RMIT
- How to apply for a research degree
HDR Scholarships Team
+61 3 9925 5570