Course Title: Building Systems
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Building Systems
Credit Points: 12
325H Property, Construction & Project Management
|Sem 2 2006,
Sem 2 2007,
Sem 2 2008,
Sem 2 2009,
Sem 2 2010,
Sem 1 2012,
Sem 2 2012,
Sem 1 2013,
Sem 2 2013,
Sem 1 2014,
Sem 2 2014,
Sem 1 2015,
Sem 2 2015,
Sem 1 2016,
Sem 2 2016,
Sem 1 2017
Course Coordinator: Prof Nick Blismas
Course Coordinator Phone: +61 3 9925 2214
Course Coordinator Email: email@example.com
Course Coordinator Location: Building 8 level 8
Course Coordinator Availability: by appointment
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
This course will focus on developing your knowledge of building systems, including architectural design building materials and construction techniques, and will foster the skills you require to adopt a building systems approach to property. Your developed knowledge of building systems will also include your understanding of different types and applications of building materials and diverse construction techniques. You will also examine how sustainability principles impact on the property lifecycle, and will integrate and apply your skills and knowledge to industry based case studies. Your engagement in case studies will include at least one site visit to an operating building in the Melbourne CBD.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
This course will develop the following program learning outcomes:
1. Determine and apply advanced knowledge of complex property theory to inform decision making in the local and global professional arena, demonstrating expert judgement and ethical decision making in your professional practice and discipline
2. Integrate and apply the specialist knowledge and technical skills required to address industry problems and/or commercial opportunities in property
4. Professionally communicate property strategy, processes, propositions and/or decision making across the property and related sectors, leading and negotiating effectively with diverse stakeholders
Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Analyse the relationship between cost, time and value and design innovation
- Apply a building systems approach to formulate solutions to address building faults
- Analyse and apply building, structural and design /principles to determine property value and use
- Analyse and articulate how Australian Standards, building codes and town planning regulations impact on the property life cycle
Overview of Learning Activities
You will engage in a range of learning activities in this course including, class discussions and case study analysis and industry site visits guest speakers.
Overview of Learning Resources
RMIT will provide you with resources and tools for learning in this course through our online systems. To assist your learning reference lists, notes and visual media will be made available., as will resources from the library. You will be required to source newspaper and other media and professional publications to add to their knowledge regarding the construction industry.
Overview of Assessment
You will be assessed on how well you meet the course’s learning outcomes and on your development against the program learning outcomes.
Assessment may include, but is not limited to, case study analysis and individual and group projects.
Feedback will be provided throughout the semester in class and/or online, through individual and group feedback on practical exercises and by individual consultation
If you have a long term medical condition and/or disability it may be possible to negotiate to vary aspects of the learning or assessment methods.
You can contact the program coordinator or the Disability Liaison Unit if you would like to find out more.
An assessment charter (http://mams.rmit.edu.au/kh6a3ly2wi2h1.pdf ) summarises your responsibilities as an RMIT student as well as those of your teachers.
Your course assessment conforms to RMIT assessment principles, regulations, policies and procedures which are described and referenced in a single document: http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=ln1kd66y87rc