Course Title: Pattern Technology 2
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Pattern Technology 2
Credit Points: 12
350T Fashion & Textiles
|Sem 2 2012,
Sem 2 2013,
Sem 1 2014,
Sem 2 2014,
Sem 1 2015,
Sem 2 2015,
Sem 1 2016,
Sem 2 2016,
Sem 2 2017
Course Coordinator: Sarah Charles
Course Coordinator Phone: +61 3 99259233
Course Coordinator Email: email@example.com
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
You should have satisfactorily completed the prerequisite courses GRAP2485 Pattern Technology 1 before you commence this course.
It is a condition of enrolment at RMIT that you accept responsibility for ensuring that you have completed the prerequisite before enrolling in a course. For your information the RMIT Course Requisites policy can be found at:
In this course you will develop your garment pattern making skills using your own library of pattern making blocks. You will produce technical drawings and specification sheets which effectively communicate your design ideas. This detailed information is essential in order for garment manufacturing to be carried out both locally and/or offshore.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
In this course you will develop the following program learning outcomes:
2. Recognise and apply relevant technologies in the fashion design and production sector of the industry
4. Communicate effectively and collaboratively in a team environment relevant to fashion practice
7. Apply initiative and judgement in planning, problem solving and decision making in your own work and working as part of a team and decision making in your own work and working as part of a team
Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to:
• Investigate a range of pattern making methods and their applications for a wide range of styles
• Analyse and apply your knowledge of patternmaking principles, produce a variety of patterns.
• Analyse pattern design problems and determine suitable patternmaking principles to achieve design requirements and identify any production problems
• Create patterns to reflect test fitting outcomes and quality standards and produce pattern specifications to support this development process.
Overview of Learning Activities
You will be engaged in learning that involves a range of class activities such as practical exercises, group and class discussion, group activities/projects as well as online and self-directed learning.
During this class you will begin to develop patterns from blocks and produce a library of patterns for use in your class activities.
Overview of Learning Resources
RMIT will provide you with resources and tools for learning in this course through our online systems.
A list of recommended learning resources will be provided by your lecturer, including books, journal articles and web resources. You will also be expected to seek further resources relevant to the focus of your own learning.
You will be working in a simulated patternmaking studio and have access to a range of existing patterns and dressmaking mannequins.
Overview of Assessment
You will be assessed on how well you meet the course’s learning outcomes and on your development against the program learning outcomes.
The assessment for this course will cover theoretical and practical components of garment patternmaking.
Assessment may include tests, exercises, projects, industry aligned assignments, presentations, individually and in groups. You may be assessed independently or as part of a team project.
Ongoing feedback will be provided to enable you to monitor your own performance including detailed feedback on assessed tasks.
Your course assessment conforms to RMIT assessment principles, regulations, policies and procedures which are described and referenced under ’Assessment’ at:
A Student Charter summarises your responsibilities as an RMIT student as well as those of your teachers.
If you have a long term medical condition and/or disability it may be possible to negotiate to vary aspects of the learning or assessment methods. You can contact the program coordinator or the Disability Liaison Unit if you would like to find out more