Course Title: Research and Innovation
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Research and Innovation
Credit Points: 12.00
TRN RMIT Training
Course Coordinator: Team Leader
Course Coordinator Phone: +61 3 9925 3069
Course Coordinator Email: email@example.com
Course Coordinator Location: Level 4, B108
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
This course provides you with the opportunity to undertake a research project in a collaborative setting. As a member of a team you will undertake a research project in an ethically responsible manner.
In this course you will apply the skills and knowledge that you have acquired in the earlier part of your program in order to answer a research question of your choice.
You will create and conduct first hand research amongst your peers and sort and analyse research data using a number of innovative digital learning technologies.
At the end of the course you will present your research findings to an audience of your peers and evaluate the research process you have undertaken.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
See Learning Outcomes.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Identify and explain the main elements of a research process.
- Generate ideas to plan and develop a research proposal.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct primary and secondary research in an ethically responsible manner.
- Analyse and evaluate research data in order to draw conclusions about a research question of interest.
Program Learning Outcomes
In this course you will develop the following program learning outcomes:
- Explain and apply foundational knowledge in one or more academic disciplines.
- Employ academic English and communication skills appropriately in a range of academic contexts.
- Demonstrate familiarity and capability in study skills for an Australian university environment.
- Work independently and in groups to meet learning outcomes.
- Apply approaches to critical and analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Use a range of current learning technologies to enhance academic outcomes.
- Apply introductory level research skills.
Overview of Learning Activities
You will be engaged in learning that involves a range of activities such as lectures, class exercises, group work, research activities and oral presentations.
Overview of Learning Resources
RMIT will provide you with resources and tools for learning in this course through our online systems.
You will be supported in your studies with online resources via myRMIT at the Learning Lab.
Relevant websites introduced to you during the course delivery will provide you with updated information around course topics.
Overview of Assessment
You will be assessed on how well you meet the course’s learning outcomes and on your development against the program learning outcomes.
Assessment tasks are designed to guide you through the process of completing a research project outcome in a collaborative group setting.
Assessment will include:
- Task 1: Quiz (10%) CLO 1
- Task 2: Research Proposal (20%) CLO 2
- Task 3: Research Findings - Report (35%) CLO 3, 4
- Task 4: Research Findings - EXPO Presentation (35%) CLO 3
Feedback will be given on all assessment tasks.
If you have a long term medical condition and/or disability it may be possible to negotiate to vary aspects of the learning or assessment methods. You can contact the program coordinator or the Disability Liaison Unit if you would like to find out more.
Your course assessment conforms to RMIT assessment principles, regulations, policies, procedures and instructions which are available for review online: http://www.rmit.edu.au/policies/academic#assessment.