Course Title: Implement and monitor OH&S in the workplace
Part B: Course Detail
Teaching Period: Term1 2010
Course Code: OHTH5451C
Course Title: Implement and monitor OH&S in the workplace
School: 350T Fashion & Textiles
Campus: Brunswick Campus
Program: C5213 - Diploma of Textile Design and Development
Course Contact : Roze Elizabeth
Course Contact Phone: +61 3 9925 9127
Course Contact Email:email@example.com
Name and Contact Details of All Other Relevant Staff
Nominal Hours: 50
Regardless of the mode of delivery, represent a guide to the relative teaching time and student effort required to successfully achieve a particular competency/module. This may include not only scheduled classes or workplace visits but also the amount of effort required to undertake, evaluate and complete all assessment requirements, including any non-classroom activities.
Pre-requisites and Co-requisites
This course has no prerequisites however students will be expected to undetake OHS inductions in practical workshops offered in the Diploma
This unit covers the knowledge and skills required to implement and monitor workplace Occupational Health and Safety policies, procedures and programs in the relevant work area.
National Codes, Titles, Elements and Performance Criteria
National Element Code & Title:
LMTGN4010A Implement and monitor OH&S in the workplace
1. Provide information to the work group about OHS policies, procedures and programs
1.1 Relevant provisions of OHS legislation and codes of practice are accurately and clearly explained to the work group
On completion of this unit students will be able to demonstrates skills to:
• analyse the work environment in order to identify hazards, assess risks and judge when intervention to control risks is necessary
• analyse relevant workplace data to identify hazards, assess risks and evaluate the effectiveness of risk control measures
• assess the resources needed to apply different risk control measures and make recommendations to management on that basis
• read, interpret and follow information on work specifications, standard operating procedures and work instructions and other reference material
• maintain accurate records
• communicate within the workplace
• sequence operations
• meet specifications
• clarify and check task-related information
• carry out work according to OHS practices
Details of Learning Activities
Introduction to Oh&S act, implications & definitions.
View short movies of Oh&S aspects.
Roles of ohs officer
Students sign in at class & go off to undertake Risk assessment
Students present report to group/ class
Discuss workplace controls. How do we deal with hazards? What is training? Record keeping.
Review from students & return multi –choice. Discuss
Students go over campus to review OH&S visibility
Presentation of report
In other programs -
View other short movies
View short movies
This course will run for 6 weeks of 2 hours per class. Student will be expected to undertake outside of class activities & tasks.
1.Introduction to Oh&S act, implications & definitions. Roles of ohs officer
View short movies of Oh&S aspects. students sign in at class.
2. Risk Assessment .Students sign in at class & go off to undertake Risk assessment
3. Discuss workplace controls. How do we deal with hazards? What is training? Record keeping.
View short movies .
4. campus tour to view notice boards, review OH&S committee meetings & information there in.
5. students working on major project. assistance for direction of report.
6. students present major report / hazard assesment.
Overview of Assessment
To achieve successful completion of this course students must demonstrate an understanding of all elements of Competency.
Assessment methods have been designed to measure achievement of each element in a flexible manner over a range of assessment tasks.
Assessment will incorporate a variety of methods including technical requirements documentation, homework and in class exercises, written tests, practical problem solving exercises and practical tests.
Students are advised that they are likely to be asked to personally demonstrate their assessment work to their teacher to ensure that the relevant competency standards are being met.
Create reference folder with 5 Priciples of OH&S. Use workbook like document.
Create support document on campus arrangements for monitoring of all OH&S issues, including names of OH&S officers. Include information on campuus visibility .
Multi-choice questionaire to fill out & report on.
Review of short films shown to class.
Create major report document on a work area on campus. this will include risk assesments, maps, location, induction processes, activity being undertaken. presented as a report to the class.
ELEMENT. ASSESSMENT ACTIVITY. EVIDENCE ASSESSED. C or n.y.c. GRADE.
1. Provide information to the work group about OHS policies, procedures and programs Major project report gives information on campus policies, procedures.
Major project. Worth 70 marks
2. Implement and monitor participative arrangements for the management of OHS..... Report on campus oh &s activities. Review of oh &s boards. Create doc. Report on noticeboards 10
3. Implement and monitor the workplace practices for identifying hazards and assessing risks Undertake risk assessment in major project. Major project.
4. Implement and monitor the workplace practices for controlling risks.......
Create chart of risks /hazards and controls implemented in major project. Major project.
5. Implement and monitor the workplace practices for dealing with hazardous events.....
Review of movies re risk assessment in workplace. In major project doc create chart for hierarchy of controls Report in workbook.
6. Implement and monitor the workplace practices for providing OHS training
7. Implement and monitor the workplace practices for maintaining OHS records
Report on oh &s notice boards
Reference with 5 principles in workbook. Report doc worth 10 marks..
Written up in workbook. Worth 10 marks.
Students are expected to attend class & contribute every week.
Course Overview: Access Course Overview