Course Title: Luxury Fashion Business Management
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Luxury Fashion Business Management
Credit Points: 12
350H Fashion & Textiles
|Sem 1 2012,
Sem 2 2012,
Sem 2 2013,
Sem 2 2014,
Sem 1 2015,
Sem 2 2015,
Sem 1 2016,
Sem 2 2016,
Sem 1 2017,
Sem 1 2018,
Sem 2 2018,
Sem 2 2019
Course Coordinator: Dr. Carol Tan
Course Coordinator Phone: +613 9925 1302
Course Coordinator Email: email@example.com
Course Coordinator Location: 511.02.006
Course Coordinator Availability: By appointment
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
Marketing, marketing management and implementation.
The luxury segment of the fashion industry is currently providing significant challenges for today’s luxury brand marketer. Escalating raw material costs, economic meltdowns, and political instability play havoc in this global luxury fashion business. Coupled with the changing nature of the global luxury fashion client and the challenges that the internet has brought to the fashion luxury industry, new strategies are required to meet the demands of this fast paced industry.
Your learning in this course will focus on aspects of luxury fashion business marketing, to enable you to meet these challenges head on.
In this course you will explore topics such as: the importance of heritage to luxury branding, the changing nature of the global luxury consumer, the pros and cons of licensing, the importance of the couture line and celebrity endorsements, the luxury environment, luxury brand strategies and brand extension strategies, online strategies, the importance of new emerging markets such as China, counterfeiting and what the future may hold for luxury fashion brands.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
On successful completion of the course you will be able to:
- Critically analyse, synthesise and reflect on complex theories and recent developments which relate to global luxury fashion.
- Research and creatively solve problems, demonstrate expert judgement and ethical responsibility relating to the luxury fashion business.
- Provide strategic leadership to effectively plan and manage the implementation of new directions and strategies around luxury fashion brand management.
- Investigate emergent global entrepreneurial issues in luxury fashion areas and strategically respond to their impact.
- Professionally communicate propositions, processes and outcomes of your investigation and analysis of the luxury brand industry and market.
In this course you will develop the following learning outcomes:
- Research and creatively solve problems, demonstrating expert judgment and ethical responsibility relating to your professional practice in fashion entrepreneurship.
- Critically analyse, synthesise and reflect on complex theories and recent developments, both local and international, at a micro and macro level, to extend and challenge knowledge and practice in fashion entrepreneurship.
- Professionally communicate propositions, processes and outcomes to address specialist and non-specialist audiences while working with cultural differences in an appropriate manner.
- Provide strategic leadership to effectively plan and manage the implementation of new directions and strategies within your professional field and environment, as well as effectively collaborate with others.
- Master a body of knowledge and specific technical and research skills to recognize and apply relevant advanced technologies within fashion organizations/your professional field.
- Investigate emergent global entrepreneurial issues and strategically respond to their impact in the fashion and textiles industry.
Overview of Learning Activities
The course consists of a series of lectures, tutorials, and excursions.
In tutorials you will be engaged in interactive class activities, group discussions and class presentations.
Guest lecturers and excursions are integrated into the course where possible.
Overview of Learning Resources
RMIT will provide you with resources and tools for learning in this course through our online systems.
As part of the learning in this course you will be directed to lecture and tutorial notes, and the latest information on the luxury fashion industry through links in My RMIT. You will also have access to state of the art computer labs and library resources.
A list of recommended learning resources will be provided by your lecturer, including books, journal articles and web based resources. You will also be expected to seek further resources relevant to the focus of your own learning.
The University Library has extensive resources for Fashion and Textiles students. The Library has produced a number of subject guides that includes quality online and print resources for your studies Fashion and Textiles Library Guides
The Library provides guides on academic referencing http://www.rmit.edu.au/library/referencing and subject specialist help via your Liaison Librarians.
Overview of Assessment
You will be assessed on how well you meet the course’s learning outcomes and on your development against the program learning outcomes. Assessment may include formal presentation, major assignment, short essay and tutorial exercises. Feedback will be given on all assessment tasks.
Your course assessment conforms to RMIT assessment principles, regulations, policies, procedures and instructions which are available for review online: http://www.rmit.edu.au/policies/academic#assessment
If you have a long term medical condition and/or disability it may be possible to negotiate to vary aspects of the learning or assessment methods. You can contact the program coordinator or the Disability Liaison Unit if you would like to find out more.