Course Title: Property Spatial Analysis
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Property Spatial Analysis
Credit Points: 12
325H Property, Construction & Project Management
|Sem 1 2012,
Sem 1 2013,
Sem 1 2014,
Sem 1 2015,
Sem 1 2016,
Sem 1 2017,
Sem 1 2018,
Sem 1 2019,
Sem 1 2020
Course Coordinator: Callum Logan
Course Coordinator Phone: +61 3 9925 2300
Course Coordinator Email: email@example.com
Course Coordinator Location: 08.08.11
Course Coordinator Availability: Monday 9.00am - 11.00am
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
This course introduces you to GIS (Geographic Spatial Systems) and will focus on the use of these systems in the valuation, management and development of property. The objectives of this course are to equip you with the skills and knowledge you require to utilise GIS (Geographic Information Systems) to: display property data, undertake demographic analyses, map themes and market trends, and undertake a site and surface analysis.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
In this course you will develop the following program learning outcomes:
- PLO1: Determine and apply knowledge of complex property and valuation theory to your professional practice and/or further study
- PLO2: Professionally communicate to a range of audiences, demonstrating in depth knowledge of the discipline and of the needs of diverse property and valuation stakeholders
- PLO3: Apply logical, critical and creative thinking to analyse, synthesise and apply theoretical knowledge, and technical skills, to formulate evidenced based solutions to industry problems or issues
- CLO5: Collaborate effectively with others and demonstrate intellectual independence and autonomy to solve problems and/or address industry issues and imperatives
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs)
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- CLO1: Integrate property data into mapping software
- CLO2: Utilise mapping software to display a range of property information data
- CLO3: Produce accurate, comprehensive spatial maps for developers, investors and valuers
- CLO4: Interpret and analyse visual demographic data
- CLO5: Utilise mapping software to present demographic data in visual form, and determine and predict market trends
Overview of Learning Activities
This course will be delivered through a combination of lectures and workshops, and learning activities will include case study exercises.
Overview of Learning Resources
RMIT will provide you with resources and tools for learning in this course through our online systems.
Supplementary readings will also support your learning.
Overview of Assessment
You will be assessed on how well you meet the course’s learning outcomes and on your development against the program learning outcomes.
Task 1: Individual assignment: Data collection using GIS systems. 25% weighting. CLO1, CLO4, CLO5.
Task 2: Test: Covers lecture material and tutorials from weeks 1-4. 15% weighting. CLO1, CLO3, CLO4.
Task 3: Test: Covers lectures material and tutorials from weeks 5-10. 20% weighting. CLO1, CLO3.
Task 4: Final assignment: Data analysis, method application and report. Weighting 40%. CLO1, CLO2, CLO3.
Feedback will be given on all assessment tasks.
Equitable Learning Services
Equitable Learning Services (ELS) provide support and equal opportunities for students with a disability, long-term illness and/or mental health condition and primary carers of individuals with a disability. You can contact the ELS if you would like to find out more: https://www.rmit.edu.au/students/support-and-facilities/student-support/equitable-learning-services. You can also contact the course coordinator or the program coordinator if you would like to find out more.
An assessment charter (http://mams.rmit.edu.au/kh6a3ly2wi2h1.pdf) summarises your responsibilities as an RMIT student as well as those of your teaching staff.
Your course assessment conforms to RMIT assessment principles, regulations, policies and procedures which are described and referenced in a single document: http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=ln1kd66y87rc.