Course Title: Fundamentals of Design
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Fundamentals of Design
Credit Points: 12.00
TRN RMIT Training
Term 1 2021,
Course Coordinator: Team Leader
Course Coordinator Phone: +61 3 9925 4038
Course Coordinator Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Coordinator Location: Level 4, B108
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
This course will introduce you to various approaches to problem-solving necessary for interpreting and undertaking a range of design projects. You will gain a basic understanding of design language and theory and employ the principles and elements of design to develop solutions for creative applications in both 2D and 3D.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
See Learning Outcomes.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Interpret design briefs and apply creative design solutions.
- Research and analyse reference material to inspire the creative process.
- Explore and apply methods for concept development.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic design theory and effectively use appropriate design terminology.
Program Learning Outcomes
In this course you will develop the following program learning outcomes:
- Explain and apply foundational knowledge in one or more academic disciplines.
- Work independently and in groups to meet learning outcomes.
- Apply approaches to critical and analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Use a range of current learning technologies to enhance academic outcomes.
Overview of Learning Activities
Assessment tasks will incrementally build on knowledge gained from earlier projects so that as they increase in complexity, they also help you to reinforce knowledge introduced in earlier projects.
Practical demonstrations and studio based assessment tasks will help you develop knowledge and skills for creative problem solving. Project development will be supervised and assessed progressively in a studio environment.
Overview of Learning Resources
RMIT will provide you with resources and tools for learning in this course through our online systems. You will be given access to important announcements, staff contact details, the teaching schedule, assessment timelines and a variety of important teaching and learning materials. You can access online learning tools and content for your program and associated courses at MyRMIT: www.rmit.edu.au/myrmit.
The University Library has extensive resources for Education students. The Library has produced a number of subject guides that includes quality online and print resources for your studies: http://rmit.libguides.com/cat.php?cid=29912.
The Library provides guides on academic referencing, http://www.rmit.edu.au/library/referencing, and subject specialist help via your Liaison Librarians.
Overview of Assessment
You will be assessed on how well you meet the courses learning outcomes and on your development against the program learning outcomes. Your projects are linked and will build on each other. Your teacher will provide you with progressive feedback throughout the course.
Assessment tasks will include:
- Studio Project 1 – 20% – LO 1, LO 3, LO 4
- Studio Project 2 – 20% – LO 1, LO 2, LO 3, LO 4
- Studio Project 3 – 30% – LO 1, LO 2, LO 3, LO 4
- Studio Project 4 – 30% – LO 1, LO 2, LO 3, LO 4
If you have a long term medical condition and/or disability it may be possible to negotiate to vary aspects of the learning or assessment methods. You can contact the program coordinator or the Disability Liaison Unit if you would like to find out more.
Your course assessment conforms to RMIT assessment principles, regulations, policies, procedures and instructions which are available for review online: http://www.rmit.edu.au/policies/academic#assessment.