Course Title: Stress Analysis
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Stress Analysis
Credit Points: 12.00
RMIT University Vietnam
860H School of Science and Technology
Course Coordinator: Ilya Kavalchuk
Course Coordinator Phone: +84 283776 1300 Extn:2101
Course Coordinator Email: email@example.com
Course Coordinator Location: RMIT Vietnam SGS
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
Students should be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding and application of the statics, calculation of reaction forces.
- Perform analysis of the force distribution and calculation of internal forces in the structures under various loading conditions.
- Perform complete analysis of cross-section.
This course includes the following topics: review of statics, internal loadings, stress and strain, mechanical properties of materials, axial loading, multi-axial loading, torsion, pure bending, unsymmetrical bending, bending of composite beams, sheer stresses in beams, shear flow, shear center and combined loadings.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
This course contributes to the following program learning outcomes:
- 1.1 Comprehensive, theory based understanding of the underpinning natural and physical sciences and the engineering fundamentals applicable to the engineering discipline.
- 1.3. In-depth understanding of specialist bodies of knowledge within the engineering discipline.
- 2.1. Application of established engineering methods to complex engineering problem solving.
- 2.2. Fluent application of engineering techniques, tools and resources.
- 2.3. Application of systematic engineering synthesis and design processes.
On completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Understand the mechanical behaviour of materials.
- Demonstrate knowledge of material properties and structure property relationships.
- Apply skills to engineering problem in three dimensional deformation and stress, analyse stress in different loadings.
- Communicate an understanding of stress analysis for engineering applications.
Overview of Learning Activities
Learning activities will take the form of:
- Class Tests
Overview of Learning Resources
Learning resources will consist of recommended references and class notes which may be accessed through "myRMIT" if you are in Melbourne and via "RMIT online" if you are based in Vietnam.The set of references is deliberately broad, including books, journal publications, government reports, industry standards and handbooks, and web-based resources.
Overview of Assessment
Assessment 1: Problem Sets Weighting (%):40 this task assesses the following learning outcomes: PLO 1.1, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 CLO 1, 2, 3, 4 Assessment 2:Laboratory Work Weighting of final grade (%):20 this task assesses the following learning outcomes: PLO 1.1, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 CLO 1, 2, 3, 4 Assessment 3: Class Tests Weighting of final grade (%):40 this task assesses the following learning outcomes: PLO 1.1, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 CLO 1, 2, 3, 4