Course Title: Security Testing
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Security Testing
Credit Points: 12.00
Course Coordinator: Jiaojiao Jiang
Course Coordinator Phone: N/A
Course Coordinator Email: email@example.com
Course Coordinator Location: N/A
Course Coordinator Availability: By appointment, by email
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
COSC2473 - Introduction to Computer Systems
COSC2537 - Security in Computing
Ethical hacking /penetration testing/vulnerability testing will present both the practical penetration and the theory behind the penetration. With the knowledge of computer systems and how devices communicate over the networks. You will learn how to:
- monitor the Internet traffic
- exploit flawed systems to carry out network penetration on cracking WEP/WPA/WPA2
- gain control over a computer system at both client the side and the server side, and
- web penetration.
These skills will enable you to criticize security loopholes for internet related applications which will lead to the capabilities of developing secure digital products and safeguard the digital world.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
On completion of this course you should be able to:
- review essential components align with network security framework;
- identify security vulnerabilities in a particular application;
- perform a range of techniques for enhancing the security of web applications;
- manage the IT infrastructure to comply with security requirements.
Overview of Learning Activities
The learning activities included in this course are one hour lecture plus one hour studio, and one hour lab each week over 12 weeks:
- key concepts will be explained in lectures or online; tools and software used will be demonstrated in the studios;
- labs focused on practice which allow exploration of security loopholes, and give feedback on your progress and understanding;
- assignments, as described in Overview of Assessment (below), requiring an integrated understanding of the subject matter; and private study, working through the course as presented in classes and learning materials, and gaining practice at solving conceptual and technical problems.
Overview of Learning Resources
You will make extensive use of computer laboratories and relevant software provided by the School. You will be able to access course information and learning materials through Canvas. Lists of relevant reference texts, resources in the library and freely accessible Internet sites will be provided.
Use the RMIT Bookshop’s textbook list search page to find any recommended textbook(s).
Overview of Assessment
This course has no hurdle requirements.
The assessment for this course comprises practical work involving the penetration testing, class tests and a final exam.
Assessment 1: Assignment 1
This assessment task supports CLOs 1, 2 & 3
Assessment 2: Assignment 2
This assessment task supports CLO 1, 3 & 4
Assessment 3: Lab test: Security Vulnerabilities
This assessment task supports CLO 2, 3 & 4
Assessment 4: Final exam
This assessment supports CLOs 1, 2, 3& 4