Course Title: Cloud Architecting
Part A: Course Overview
Course Title: Cloud Architecting
Credit Points: 12.00
RMIT University Vietnam
175H Computing Technologies
Course Coordinator: Shekhar Kalra
Course Coordinator Phone: +61 3 9925 9500
Course Coordinator Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Coordinator Location: 14.10.010A
Course Coordinator Availability: by appointment
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
COSC2757 Cloud Foundations
Note it is a condition of enrolment at RMIT that you accept responsibility for ensuring that you have completed the prerequisite/s and agree to concurrently enrol in co-requisite courses before enrolling in a course.
Assumed Prior Knowledge: general familiarity with networking, client-server architecture
By completing this course, you will gain an overall understanding of fundamentals of building IT infrastructure on AWS.
The course is designed to teach solutions architects how to optimise their use of the AWS Cloud by understanding AWS services and how they fit into cloud-based solutions. Throughout the course, you will explore case studies that showcase how some AWS customers have designed their infrastructures and the strategies and services that they have implemented. Finally, this course provides opportunities for you to build a variety of infrastructures through a guided, hands-on approach.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
On completion of this course you should be able to:
- CLO 1: Understand concepts of cloud computing with Amazon Web Services
- CLO 2: Understand concepts around AWS-powered applications
- CLO 3: Understand key concepts around architectural components
- CLO 4: Create, manage and provision applications using AWS platform
- CLO 5: Understand the design principles, security and best practices around application development
- CLO 6: Communicate with clients in a professional manner, delivering presentations and writing technical research reports using the appropriate language of the field.
Overview of Learning Activities
The learning activities included in this fully online AWS certified instructor-facilitated course include:
- key concepts are explained in AWS Academy module, where fundamental concepts will be presented and illustrated through relevant demonstrations and examples;
- the online modules which will include lecture material, online multiple-choice knowledge checks, lab exercises, video introductions, video demos and example solutions;
- weekly interactions with the facilitator to discuss concepts, queries and doubts
Facilitator guided hours: 36
Self-directed hours: 84
Overview of Learning Resources
The learning resources will include the following online modules from AWS academy’s course on cloud architecting:
- Design your environment
- Design for high availability
- Automating infrastructure
- Decoupling infrastructure
- Design web-scale media
- Well-architected framework
- Design patterns and sample architectures
Overview of Assessment
The assessment for this course comprises of AWS academy online exercises and a final project.
There is no written final examination.
The course has no hurdle requirements.
- Milestone 1, project documentation and early plan blueprint, 30%. This assessment task supports CLOs 1, 2
- Milestone 2, project execution and team report 50%. This assessment task supports CLOs 3, 4 and 5
- Milestone 3, client presentation and Q&A session, 20%. This assessment task supports CLO 6