Course Title: Develop social media engagement plans
Part A: Course Overview
Program: C5406 Diploma of Business
Course Title: Develop social media engagement plans
Portfolio: Vocational Education
Nominal Hours: 50Regardless of the mode of delivery, represent a guide to the relative teaching time and student effort required to successfully achieve a particular competency/module. This may include not only scheduled classes or workplace visits but also the amount of effort required to undertake, evaluate and complete all assessment requirements, including any non-classroom activities.
Please note that this course may have compulsory in-person attendance requirements for some teaching activities.
To participate in any RMIT course in-person activities or assessment, you will need to comply with RMIT vaccination requirements which are applicable during the duration of the course. This RMIT requirement includes being vaccinated against COVID-19 or holding a valid medical exemption.
Please read this RMIT Enrolment Procedure as it has important information regarding COVID vaccination and your study at RMIT: https://policies.rmit.edu.au/document/view.php?id=209.
Please read the Student website for additional requirements of in-person attendance: https://www.rmit.edu.au/covid/coming-to-campus
Please check your Canvas course shell closer to when the course starts to see if this course requires mandatory in-person attendance. The delivery method of the course might have to change quickly in response to changes in the local state/national directive regarding in-person course attendance.
Course Contact: Anahita (Annie) Barry
Course Contact Phone: +61 3 9925 5493
Course Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to effectively develop social media engagement plans with a preferred target audience.
The unit applies to individuals working in a variety of marketing and communications occupational roles who have responsibility for developing social media plans and facilitating social engagement on behalf of a business or organisation.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
National Competency Codes and Titles
National Element Code & Title:
BSBMKG546 Develop social media engagement plans
1. Prepare to develop social media strategy
2. Devise social media engagement strategy
3. Facilitate content delivery
4. Monitor and evaluate social media engagement
This course is structured to provide students with the optimum learning experience in order to demonstrate the skills and knowledge required to effectively develop social media engagement plans with a preferred target audience.
Overview of Assessment
In order to achieve competency in this unit, you must provide:
The candidate must demonstrate the ability to complete the tasks outlined in the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, including evidence of the ability to:
- develop, review and update a social media engagement plan for an organisation or work area.
In the course of the above, the candidate must:
- specify a target audience for social media engagement according to client or organisational requirements
- set measurable metrics for determining success
- research online behaviours and characteristics of target audience and identify typical responses and journeys
- review and select social media platforms and applications to meet requirements
- develop and schedule release of relevant content that aligns to strategy
- develop a plan for social media interactions including requirements for consistent messaging and automate engagement process where possible
- monitor and react positively to changes in the social media space.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate knowledge to complete the tasks outlined in the elements, performance criteria and foundation skills of this unit, including knowledge of:
- features of existing legislation and policy relevant to social media
- features of existing social media platforms and their relevance to key industry functions
- benefits of consistent messaging in social media, including branding and the development of trust
- methods of engaging target audience on social media including:
- offering personalised responses to target audience questions
- typical response characteristics of users to common social media interventions
- features of existing tools and techniques used to engage users on social media
- performance measures commonly used to evaluate social media engagement
- relevant organisational strategies, policies, and procedures.
Skills in this unit must be demonstrated in a workplace or simulated environment where the conditions are typical of those in a working environment in this industry.
This includes access to:
- legislation and regulations for business social media engagement
- workplace documentation and resources relevant to performance evidence.
Feedback will be provided throughout the semester in class and/or online discussions. You are encouraged to ask and answer questions during class time and online sessions so that you can obtain feedback on your understanding of the concepts and issues being discussed. Finally, you can email or arrange an appointment with your teacher to gain more feedback on your progress.
You should take note of all feedback received and use this information to improve your learning outcomes and final performance in the course.